If you have run out of space to store your belongings at home, self storage units are a great option for the safekeeping of these items. The same applies to when you run out of space to store documents or inventory at work. Businesses are required by law to keep documents for many years, and not every office has the luxury of enough safe extra space. You can rent a self storage unit of exactly the correct size which will ensure your important papers are kept safely. In fact, the security offered by storage facilities such as Stop & Store Lowestoft is often superior to that which we have in our homes or our offices, so your stuff is often safer in storage.
What do you need from Self Storage?
There are a few things to consider when you are choosing self storage units in your preferred facility. If you already rent a unit, these may help you get the most out of your unit.
This is probably the main requirement that is expected from self storage units. All users of units need to be assured that their belongings are safe at all times, not only from burglars, but also other damaging things like pests or moisture.
Size of Unit
It is important for your unit to be large enough to accommodate all your belongings you wish to store, but not too large that you are paying for space you do not use. It is difficult to visualize the size of the unit, so some facilities have a space calculator on their websites to assist their potential customers choose the right sized unit for their needs.
If you are storing items that you need to access on a regular basis, then the closer the storage facility you choose is to you, the better. There is no point in having a storage unit in a facility hours away, but if you are storing seasonal items like a boat or camping equipment that you only need to access sporadically, then a storage unit in an out-of-the-way location will work out fine and may be a more cost-effective option.
How to get the most out of self storage units
Here are a few tips that will ensure you get the most out of your unit.
- Pack your belongings for storage carefully. This will take some organising and planning, but the more you put into this stage, the easier it will make your storage experience. If your belongings are going in for the long term, it may be better to pack them in plastic boxes. Some of these are on wheels to make it easier to move them around. They are also stackable and will keep your goods in one piece. Cardboard boxes are fine for the shorter term. Pack heavier items at the bottom and fill up the box with lighter things.
- Wrap your belongings in bubble wrap and packing paper to keep them from breaking. Pack your boxes firmly using linen and clothing to wedge the items in so that there is no shifting around. Packing properly will ensure that none of your precious belongings gets damaged or broken.
- Make sure your boxes are labelled in detail. Create an inventory for yourself to keep track of what is in your storage unit and in which box. This will save you lots of headaches in the future when you need to search for something.
- Place a tarpaulin on the floor of the unit to ensure that no moisture can seep in. All items that you pack must be clean and dry to guard against mould forming.
- Pack your unit by leaving an access space from the front to back, use light shelving to use the height of the unit to its full potential, and place heavy items at the bottom so your boxes do not get squashed.
There are some items that you are not allowed to pack in a storage unit. By general rule of thumb these would include animals, plants, and perishable foods. Obviously anything flammable such as ammunition, chemicals or fireworks are a no-no as are any illegal substances. Your facility will be able to supply you with a detailed list of items that are not safe to store.
Choose Stop & Store, Lowestoft
There are many good reasons to store your precious belongings at Stop & Store, Lowestoft. We have many years’ experience in the storage industry, and we can help you solve any storage problem you may have. Our self storage units come in a range of sizes from 12sq ft to 200sq ft, so whether you have a few valuables to store, or an entire household of furniture, we can help you.
We do not lock you into a contract or require any deposit which means more flexibility for you. You can hire a unit for a month to as long as you wish, and you can upsize or downsize easily.
Our location in Lowestoft near the railway station is perfectly located to service Oulton on Sea, Kessingland and the surrounding areas.
- We are centrally located in Lowestoft and convenient to the town centre. Our facility offers easy access for the loading and unloading of your belongings.
- Our facility is open 7 days a week from 8am to 6pm.
- Our facility is fully secured with monitored CCTV and intruder alarms.
- Our units are modern, lockable, steel partitioned rooms and offer a secure place for both business and personal items to be stored.
- Our state-of-the-art, fully automated operation system is focused on making your experience simple and efficient. Receive your individual PIN and you are good to go. Nothing could be simpler.
- Our units are affordable, and we run various special offers for our customers which we put on our website for your information.
Check our website for reviews from our clients. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please contact us on 01502 580005.