Downsizing is what we commonly call when you move into a smaller house or apartment than your current one. The reasons for this are many and varied. Simplifying your lifestyle and paring down means that there is more time to spend on obtaining our dreams and goals. So thinking smaller doesn’t mean that you have to compromise your lifestyle and maybe you feel there is more to life than owning the largest home you can afford.
The time may be right for downsizing if the kids have left home and you no longer need the big family house. You may have more time at your disposal if you have retired and wish to travel more or indulge in other hobbies so a ‘lock up and go’ would suit you better. It may be the time to get rid of the responsibility and cost of the upkeep and other related expenses that a large home brings with it.
Your income requirements may have changed and selling a large house could free up capital for you. So maybe now is the right time to downsize and achieve some of those goals.
‘Where Will I Put all my Stuff?’
- Smaller homes obviously have less storage, and this is a major concern to most people who decide to downsize as they have a lot of possessions, some more precious than others. For those items that you absolutely cannot get rid of, there is the option of hiring a self storage unit at Stop & Store Lowestoft. You can be sure that those precious belongings that you are unable to part with will be safe here.
- Give your family members first choice of the items they wish to take from your home. You have the opportunity of getting rid of stuff you don’t really need any more, and they get a chance of setting up their homes using items that may be of sentimental value to them.
- Once you have decided what you cannot take with you to your smaller home or what family members do not want, sell them online or have a garage sale. The other option is to donate items to your local charity shop where they will be bought and given a new lease on life by someone who really needs them.
- Look on the positive side in that downsizing makes you realise that less is more, and you will feel relieved to get rid of all that stuff that you may have been hanging onto for all these years just because you could. A smaller home will have no space for extra stuff or large bulky items, so embrace the new challenges of simplifying your life by getting rid of possessions that may be tying you down.
‘Will I Save Money?’
- If you wish to save money, then downsizing is the right choice for you. Your monthly living expenses will be drastically reduced, from your heating costs, your home maintenance, property taxes, to your insurance costs.
- A small home is easier and cheaper to maintain and requires less effort to keep clean and organized. This is important if you do not wish to spend your time on housework but wish to pursue new hobbies or activities and spend your time on those things that matter more to you. You will be spending less on upkeep and have more time to do the things you love.
- Your mortgage repayments will be smaller so downsizing will mean more money to save, pay off your child’s education, or put towards your retirement.
What Are the Advantages of Downsizing?
- If you have been in your current home a while it is likely to have increased in value so that when you sell it you may be near to paying off your mortgage completely and can live mortgage free in your new smaller home.
- Downsizing means less upkeep and lower bills which is music to most people’s ears.
- When you downsize for your retirement this means choosing a property that is suitable for your stage in life and is more appropriate for your needs. A smaller garden to maintain, no stairs to climb, and a smaller house to clean and maintain means less responsibility and more time to enjoy life.
It is apparent that downsizing doesn’t mean forfeiting your home comforts and possessions, but rather discovering a lifestyle that will save you time, effort and money leaving you to enjoy some of those things that you have been dreaming about.
Benefits of Using a Self Storage Unit at Stop & Store Lowestoft
- Our storage facility is fully secured with monitored CCTV and intruder alarms so you can have peace of mind that your goods are safe.
- There is easy access to the units for loading and off-loading. We have trollies available for your use.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are clean, dry, and secure steel partitioned rooms. To make it easier for you to choose the right sized unit we have a Space Calculator if you are not sure how much space you need for your belongings. Or alternatively contact us, and we can assist you.
- Our easy to use technology mean that you can secure a self-storage unit online from your mobile or tablet, pay, and when you receive your individual PIN code to access your unit, you can move your goods in immediately. Our aim is to keep it as simple as possible for our clients.
- Rent a self storage unit from 1 month to as long as you need. There are no contracts or leases to sign, and we do not require a deposit.
- We offer a secure place to store your belongings when you need long term storage. We are open seven days a week to make it easily accessible. Our hours are 8am to 6pm so you can come and go as you please during these times.
- Stop & Store Lowestoft is conveniently situated near the railway station in Lowestoft and is also suitable to service Oulton, Hopton on Sea, Kessingland, and surrounding areas.
- Please check customer reviews on our website.
Please contact us on 01502 580005 for more information when you are ready to downsize.