What will happen to your belongings when you decide to move abroad for a while or even permanently? You will need to make some decisions regarding your possessions.
Will you get rid of them all before you leave? Or are they worth hanging onto so that you have something to come back to when your overseas stint is over? You may wish to send them at a later date when you have set up a home in your new country of choice. You need to decide on what your best option is when it comes to storing your belongings.
Moving abroad is one of the most exciting things that can happen to you. Think of the new experiences waiting for you, new people to meet, and things to see.
However, it can also be a challenge. Maybe you do not speak the language of the country you are moving to, there is a different currency to get used to, and you may not see your friends and family that you are leaving behind for some time.
One way to minimise your stress levels is to decide where to keep your belongings while you are away. If you choose to keep them in a self storage facility you can be sure that your stuff will be safe. This is a good decision which will give you the space to concentrate on what is coming instead of worrying about what will happen to your possessions while you are away.
So how can self storage help you when moving abroad?
- It can offer you temporary storage. Renting a self storage unit while you move and set yourself up at the other end will allow you to secure your items until you have made arrangements for their transportation to your new destination.
- If you are not taking all your possessions with you, self storage will allow you to keep those items that you still want to keep but cannot take with you. Store appliances, furniture, and even sentimental items while you are away.
- A self storage facility such as Stop & Store Lowestoft offers you flexibility in terms of storage unit sizes. Whether you need a small unit to keep a few boxes, or a larger unit for the contents of your home, you can choose the size that suits your needs. This means that you only pay for the space that you require.
- A reputable self storage facility will have the security features necessary to ensure that your precious possessions are safe during their storage. This will give you peace of mind knowing that your items are protected while you are away.
- Self storage will offer a long-term solution to the question of where to keep your goods while you are away. If you plan to live abroad for an extended period you can keep those items that you don’t need immediately but you want to keep them for the future. It is an ideal solution for keeping your valuable heirlooms, seasonal items, or any other possessions that you may not wish to get rid of permanently, but don’t intend to take abroad with you.
- The long access hours at a self storage facility such as Stop & Store Lowestoft will make your packing so much easier. You can add items at your convenience while packing up. You can also retrieve items easily when you settle into your new home abroad and need them sent to you if you leave your access details with a trusted family member.
Here are some storage tips to help you prepare your possessions
Getting ready to move means packing your life’s possessions in boxes and moving them into your self storage unit. Here are some handy hints that we are happy to pass on!
- Do a clear-out first of those items that you no longer need or want. If it doesn’t have sentimental or monetary value it can be cleared out of your home. This way you don’t have to pay more for storage for these items that are no longer necessary in your life. You can donate them, sell them, or give them to family or friends. This will ensure that your packing and moving go smoothly.
- Use the correct boxes when packing up. Strong cardboard boxes or plastic crates are good. Wrap fragile items carefully in bubble wrap to prevent breakages.
- Dismantle your furniture to save space. Wrap furniture items in blankets or sheets. Use pillows as a wedge to prevent items from touching each other.
- Store appliances upright with the doors slightly ajar just in case there is any moisture left behind.
- Make sure that everything you pack is clean and completely dry to prevent any mould from forming.
- Be aware of any moisture or humidity building up in your unit. Avoid putting stuff against the walls to help with the airflow. Place a tarpaulin on the floor or place pallets to pack your stuff onto. Both of these measures will help with ventilation.
- Make sure every box is labelled in great detail. Trust us that after a year in storage, you will not remember what is where unless you have labelled your boxes.
How Can Stop & Store Lowestoft Help You?
The last thing you need to worry about when living and working abroad is whether the stuff that you left behind is safe.
If you leave them with a family member or a friend, there is always the possibility that they could go missing or be damaged, especially if they are stored in a garage. If you leave your sentimental heirlooms and personal treasures in your home while you rent out, there is a great chance of them being damaged or disappearing while you are away. So rather than take a chance, hire a self storage unit where you can be sure that your goods will be safe.
- The security of your belongings is our priority, so our storage facility is fully secured with monitored CCTV and intruder alarms. You can therefore be assured that your belongings will be safe from being stolen.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are modern, steel-partitioned rooms that are clean, dry, and secure and there will be a size to suit you. Please contact us if you need any assistance.
- Rentals are available from one month to as long as you need. What we quote is what you pay as there are no hidden extras.
- Once you have paid we send you your unique PIN, and you get access to your unit.
- Our units are affordable. Please check our website for any specials we may be running.
- Check our website for reviews left by our customers.
Please contact us at 01329 556174 . We look forward to hearing from you!