You have sold your house, bought a new one, and now you face the daunting task of packing up all your stuff. Make no mistake, moving to a new address is a stressful event in your life. Packing up an entire household of your belongings may seem like a mountain you have to climb before the big move day. Unless you are very lucky and are able to afford a professional company to move in and pack for you, you will need to face this mountain yourself.
If you have moved before, you will know that a big move takes time to plan and organise. Repeatedly you will ask yourself how you managed to accumulate so much stuff. Whether you have been in the same house for 20 years, or only 2 years doesn’t seem to make a difference; there still seems to be too much stuff to sort through.
Store Your Items in a Self Storage Unit During the Move
Investing in a self storage unit will make your moving day easier, especially if your new home is a bit short on storage space. Packing up your precious, treasured items separately from your every day items and putting these in a storage unit will ensure that these do not get damaged on move day.
You can pack away your seasonal items as well, so on move day all you are dealing with are the belongings you are currently using.
Any furniture that you are not sure about keeping can also be stored safely in your storage unit, until you have decided whether to use it in your new home, or whether you want to sell it or give it to a charity.
These items can remain in your self storage unit until you have added storage space to your house, or you have decided which you want to keep. One of the advantages of a storage unit at Stop & Store Lowestoft is that you can keep your stuff for as long as you wish, so if you decide you need the extra storage for longer, then you can rest assured that your belongings will be secure until you need them again.
Preparing for a Successful Move
The professionals all stress that the more planning you put into your move, the easier it will make it. So before you have even started with your packing, take this as an opportunity to declutter for your new beginnings. This is an ideal time to get your sofas, chairs, and mattresses cleaned for the new house. You don’t want to drag your old dirty furniture into your bright new home, so this is the opportunity to get everything ship-shape.
Make sure you collect the packaging materials you need for your packing. You will need strong moving boxes, bubble wrap, and effective tape that is wide enough to ensure that your boxes do not collapse under the weight of their contents. Sheets of paper are essential as well, so now is the time to use your unwanted newspapers and magazines.
9 Hacks to Follow When Packing for a House Move
- Avoid using large boxes for packing your heavy stuff. A large box filled with books for example, will be very difficult to lift. Use the large boxes for lighter things like pillows and keep smaller boxes for your heavy stuff.
- Mix heavy items with your light items. Place a layer of your heavy items like books at the bottom of the box and fill up with lighter items such as linen. Place items that function as padding at the top of your boxes to prevent the boxes from getting squashed when they are stacked on top of each other during the move, in the removal van.
- Sheets, pillows, duvets, and blankets are useful to wrap your furniture and appliances to protect them from being dented and scratched while being moved.
- Use items of clothing to pack around your breakables as padding once you have wrapped them in paper and placed in a box. This will ensure that nothing gets broken.
- Pack any open household cleaners and toiletries in Ziplock bags before you pack these up. This will ensure that they do not leak and damage anything in transit. The same applies for any half-used boxes or packets of foodstuffs.
- If possible hire a wardrobe box which has a rail where you can hang your suits and dresses for the move. They will arrive at your new home with no creases in sight and save you the hassle of all that ironing!
- Once you have wrapped your plates and glasses in paper, pack them in a box upright and not flat. Plates packed flat, and glasses laid flat, crack easily when a heavy weight is placed on top of their box. You will find you have fewer breakages when you unpack at the other end.
- Please remember to label all your boxes in detail to make unpacking at the other end easier. Put the name of the room the box is from to make the unpacking from the removal truck more organised. It will be easier to place the right box in the right room.
- This is an important one – keep your essentials in a bag packed in your car. Pack your kettle, tea, coffee, your medicines, and other toiletries, as well as a change of clothes. If you have a baby, pack all her stuff to have handy, and the same goes for your pet’s stuff.
Use a Self-Storage Unit at Stop & Store, Lowestoft
Our secure self storage facility is located in the heart of Lowestoft. Our units come in a range of sizes, and you are sure to find a suitable one. Our simple and convenient booking process can be undertaken from the comfort of your phone or laptop. We offer householders who are moving the convenience of a unit to store their goods safely during this stressful time.
We pride ourselves in our communication with our clients, our storage facility is clean, and your goods will be kept safe by our superior security.
Our storage units are affordable and offer an alternative to home storage. Our opening hours allow you to access your goods from 8am to 6pm, seven days a week.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Please contact us on 01502 580005
- Stop and Store,
- Great Eastern Warehouse, Denmark Road, Lowestoft, NR32 2EH