Efficient inventory management is crucial for the success of any business. For many enterprises, self storage facilities offer a convenient and cost-effective solution to keep excess inventory secure and organised.
Whether you run a retail store, an e-commerce business, or a manufacturing company, utilising a self storage unit can help free up valuable workspace and reduce clutter. In this blog, we will explore what sort of businesses can benefit from using self storage, and the best practices for how to store their inventory in self storage.
Using self storage for your business inventory means that your goods remain safe, easily accessible, and in optimal condition.
Businesses Which May Benefit from Using Self Storage
In today’s rapidly evolving business landscape, companies of all sizes and industries are always seeking new ways to streamline their operations, enhance efficiency, and reduce overhead costs. This is why self storage units have become popular for businesses as well as householders. They offer many enterprises an effective way of managing inventory enabling them to efficiently store their inventory and improve their distribution processes.
Self Storage for E-commerce Retailers
With the explosive growth of e-commerce, online retailers are increasingly turning to self storage units to manage their inventory. These businesses can fluctuate drastically when product volumes are due to seasonal demand or special promotions. Self storage units provide a flexible solution, allowing e-commerce retailers to expand or downsize their storage space as needed, eliminating the need for expensive warehouse leases.
Self Storage for Small and Medium-sized Businesses
From local retailers to landscapers, contractors, and even startups facing space and budget constraints when it comes to managing inventory, self storage offers an affordable alternative to traditional warehousing. This allows you to keep your stock close to your business premises or your target market, protected from theft, damage, or bad weather.
Self Storage Facility for Home-based businesses
Entrepreneurs running businesses from their homes often struggle with managing inventory within their living spaces. Self storage units serve as an off-site extension, freeing up valuable space at home and providing a dedicated area for inventory storage. This way, home-based businesses can stay organised, increase productivity, and separate their work and living environments.
Storage Units for Restaurants
Restaurants often deal with bulk food and beverage orders and require extra storage space for non-perishable items and equipment. Self storage units offer a convenient solution for storing beverages, supplies, and equipment to free up space in their kitchens and dining areas. Seasonal decorations and additional furniture and equipment can all be stored off-site without compromising the restaurant’s limited space.
Self Storage for Event Planners, Realtors, or Interior Designers
These companies require temporary storage for event supplies, equipment, and decorations. Self storage units offer a practical solution to keep their inventory organised and easily accessible to create attractive spaces for their clients.
How To Store Business Inventory in Self Storage
Efficient inventory management is crucial for the success of any business. Here are some tips for you to make the most of your self storage unit to keep your business inventory secure and organised.
- Review your inventory. Categorize items based on size and how frequently you need to use them. Check expiry dates if that is relevant to your items. This way you can establish the size of the unit you will need, and how to optimize packing.
- Choose the right self storage facility for the successful storage of your inventory. Look out for measures such as good security, whether the environment is clean, well-lit, and well-maintained, and access hours that suit you. Location is important too if you need to be close to your office, store, or customers.
- Pack your items in good quality packing materials and label each box with its contents, quantity, and any other relevant information. Maximise the use of space in your unit and allow for easy retrieval. Create an inventory list.
- Organise items in a way that allows easy access to frequently needed items without the need to move other goods around. Place high-demand items near the front of the storage unit and reserve the back for less frequently accessed inventory. Use shelving units or pallet racks to keep items off the ground, making them easier to access and protecting them from potential damage.
- Perform regular inspections of your stored inventory to identify any signs of damage, pests, or humidity issues. Conduct maintenance checks on your storage unit and packing materials to ensure they remain in good condition. This hands-on maintenance will help prevent potential problems and ensure that your inventory remains in pristine condition.
- To prevent stock from becoming obsolete or expiring, establish a rotation system. Prioritise the use of older inventory before newer items to ensure your products are sold or used in time. A first-in-first-out (FIFO) system is often helpful for businesses that store perishable or time-sensitive goods. You may need to implement inventory management software to keep track of your stored items.
- Consider insurance cover for those accidents and unforeseen events that may occur.
Stop & Store Lowestoft Self Storage for Your Business Inventory
There are many benefits to storing your business inventory in a self storage facility such as Stop & Store Lowestoft.
- Reduce stock-keeping costs as self storage units are cheaper than commercial warehousing.
- Increase your efficiency and productivity by accessing your inventory easily and moving it in and out of your storage unit as needed.
- You can organise the inventory in your unit in any way that suits your business operation.
- Our facility has advanced security features such as monitored CCTV, alarms, and gates to protect your inventory from theft.
- Our units are clean and there is a wide range of sizes to choose from. You can upsize or downsize depending on your needs.
- If you are in doubt go one size bigger as this will give you some extra room to store those unexpected items or to accommodate future growth.
- Once you have booked and paid for your unit, you will receive a PIN. This controls access to our facility, keeping out those who have no business being there.
- There is easy access to the units for loading and off-loading.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are clean, dry, and secure steel partitioned rooms. To make it easier for you to choose the right sized unit we have a Space Calculator if you are not sure how much space you need for your belongings. Otherwise, contact us if you need any further assistance or information.
- We are open seven days a week to make it easily accessible. Our hours are 8 am to 6 pm so you can come and go as you please during these times.
- Stop & Store Lowestoft is conveniently situated near the railway station in Lowestoft and is also suitable for Oulton, Hopton on Sea, Kessingland, and surrounding areas.
- Please check customer reviews on our website.