A self storage unit is the perfect place to store those belongings that you still want to keep but have nowhere to store them. It is also the place to store those items when you free up space at home. These are normally items that are not in regular use, so it is all too easy to put them away in your storage unit and forget about them.
However we at Stop & Store Lowestoft recommend that you visit your storage unit from time to time to make sure that everything is in place. And more importantly by keeping your unit clean will ensure that your stored goods remain in good condition.
After a long time, any space that is closed up will have a dust build up, and if any vermin like termites were present in the storage boxes you used or even in your wooden furniture when you packed it away, these can cause serious damage to your stuff. Likewise if there is any moisture buildup and condensation anywhere expect mould and mildew to form which can also cause damage.
Before You Store
There are some steps you can take while packing up your possessions for storage to ensure that your goods are kept safely and remain clean.
- Clean your storage unit out thoroughly before you even move your first box in. This way you know that you are starting the storage journey the best way possible for keeping your belongings in a good condition. Consider placing pallets on the floor and covering them with a tarpaulin to keep your boxes and furniture off the floor to encourage good air circulation.
- Clean the goods that you intend storing before packing. This will safeguard against bringing dust into your unit. Cover larger items and those that cannot fit into your boxes such as large furniture items with blankets to prevent dust building up.
- Pack your belongings into plastic crates rather than boxes if you are planning on leaving them in storage for the long term. These crates keep vermin out so books and papers will be safe. It is important to make sure that these crates are completely dry before you pack them to prevent condensation.If you are using cardboard boxes for packing please make sure that they are new. The used ones you get from the grocery shop may already contain insect eggs which will hatch out and cause damage to your belongings. We recommend that you never use plastic bags as these disintegrate and you will find your belongings strewn everywhere.
- Moisture can cause damage by encouraging a buildup of mould and mildew so everything including your clothes, should be clean and dry before packing.
- Never store any foodstuffs in your self storage unit, not even dried products. These will attract rodents and other undesirable vermin, let alone how bad they will make your unit smell when they decompose.
- Remember to label each box in detail, and to create an inventory of what you have packed away. This will make your life so much easier when the time comes for you to empty out your storage unit.
Cleaning Out Your Self Storage Unit After You Store
Emptying and cleaning out your storage unit at the end of your lease is something that no-one looks forward to. And the longer your goods have been stored the more difficult it is as you will have to decide what to do with items that you may no longer have any use for.
- This is where the inventory that you drew up when you placed your items in storage is vital. If your boxes and furniture are being moved to your new address you can just pack them straight onto the removal lorry, clean the unit, and hand back the lock.
- If your goods are from a deceased estate you may need some assistance in deciding what to keep, what to donate and what to toss. These goods may have sentimental value to you, and you could find this step emotionally draining. Try and get someone to be there with you to offer not only emotional support, but also an extra pair of hands to help with the moving will be very useful.
- Set yourself a timeline so that this process does not drag on and on. You may need longer than a day to clear your stuff out and then clean the unit up. If you leave your unit in a mess the facility will have it cleaned out at your expense, so it is worth spending some time sweeping and mopping it down and leaving it in the condition you received it in.
Are You Experiencing Lack of Space at Home? How Stop & Store Lowestoft Can Benefit You
When you need extra storage for whatever reason, Stop & Store Lowestoft is the place to keep your excess belongings.
- Our storage facility is fully secured with monitored 24/7 CCTV and intruder alarms. When you need a secure storage space you can be assured that our facility is that place where your goods will be safe from theft.
- Our booking system is simple. Book and pay online from your mobile or laptop, we email you your individual PIN and you are good to go. Our units are easily accessible for convenient loading and off-loading.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are modern, steel partitioned rooms which are clean, dry, and will ensure that your goods remain safe from any form of damage.
- Whether you need your unit for less than a month or a lot longer, we are flexible and can assist you. We do not require a deposit, and if you move your goods in or out during the month you pay a pro rate.
- We have trolleys to help you move your heavy items.
- We have packaging materials and stackable containers that will help you when you need to pack up and are designed to keep your belongings safely.
Please contact us on:
Tel: 01502 580005 for more information. We are ready to assist you solving your storage problems.