Are you planning to move to a new home in the next few months? Based on experience, there are some steps you can take to ensure that the entire experience of selling your current home, packing your belongings up, and moving to your new home goes as smoothly as possible. Self storage unit
There are reasons why hiring a self storage unit can be of great help to you during this time. Using a self storage unit for your belongings from when you find your new home, put your current home on the market, and right up until you move, will prove to be invaluable.
Why Do People Move Home?
- The main reason that people move is that they are looking for more space. So a house that will accommodate them, and all their stuff, with room to spare, will be top of the wish list.
- If the seller is downsizing and needs to sell the large family home, they can be sure that the buyers looking at their home are interested in a bigger home to accommodate their family, pets, and belongings.
- They may be looking for a first home of their own, having rented apartments before. They envisage adding to their family, maybe moving to the suburbs from the city centre, and opting for a quieter life.
- If someone’s financial position changes, either for the better or for the worse, they may be in the market for a larger or smaller home. So it depends on how much they can afford, and what their budget is.
- Good neighbourhoods are more desirable. Often the better schools are situated in these areas which makes them sought after by families with school going children. If you have a house to sell in one of these areas you should have no problem finding prospective buyers as they tend to line up for houses in these areas.
- A job offer in a new city, or even a promotion at work, can mean a transfer to a new city or town. This means that there is a deadline as far as dates are concerned, so it is even more important to sell on a tight timeline.
How Can Your Home Appeal to Prospective Buyers?
It is more difficult to sell some homes as the market conditions are not as favourable as a year to two ago. Higher mortgage rates are a factor, and many people find themselves in a difficult financial position so there may be more houses on the market, which means more competition.
But in any case, people are moving all the time. Life’s circumstances change so it is not always possible to time your move to coincide with whether the market is moving up or down.
So how can you make your house stand out from the others that are on the market?
This means that you need to make your current home more saleable. And this also means that you need to present your home in the best possible light. So by making it feel as spacious as you can, you enable the buyer to see themselves in your space without the distraction of your belongings.
- You need to declutter your space. Get rid of stuff that you no longer need. You can sell these items or donate them to your favourite charity. To make even more space available, pack up your seasonal wardrobe items, camping equipment, sports equipment, and in fact anything that is not in daily use.You will need to store these boxes somewhere, but certainly not in your garage or attic as the point is to make extra space. This is where a self storage unit at Stop & Store Lowestoft will keep these goods out of sight.
- Let potential buyers see your garage for what it is – a place to park their cars rather than a place to dump anything that doesn’t have a place. The same applies to the attic if you have one, or to any spare rooms, and extra cupboards. Let the buyer see that there are empty cupboards to store linen, a place to keep their kids’ toys, and even possibly convert an attic to a space for Granny!If these spaces are filled with your clutter there is no chance of them envisaging your home at its best – they will only see it as a cluttered, untidy space that will not be able to accommodate them or their belongings.
- Clear surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom. There are probably items you keep here that are no longer needed. Recycle them by donating them. These are spaces that need to be clear of clutter when prospective buyers view your house. Clearing these spaces will help you see what you really need and what needs to be thrown away. You do not want to take all this clutter with you to your new house.
- When you move into your new house, there may be some issues that you want to sort out immediately, like cleaning carpets, or retiling a bathroom. If your goods are in storage for a while this could afford you the time to get these projects done, instead of unloading your stuff immediately and having to put them off for a while. It is much easier to accomplish these things in an empty house before all your boxes arrive!
Think of a house move as something that can be done in stages, with your self storage unit playing a large part in assisting you. While your excess belongings are in storage you can show your home to its best advantage. After all, it is easier to keep a decluttered home clean. And as for your new home, you can keep your belongings in storage for a few weeks after moving in so that you can get your renovations done. So hiring a self storage unit will solve many of your house move problems.
What Stop & Store Lowestoft Offers You
Our facility is well kept and protected by state-of-the-art security which includes monitored CCTV and an alarm system ensuring the safety of your belongings. Access is controlled and the facility is well lit.
If you would like more information about using self storage to facilitate your move, please contact us on 01502 580005. We look forward to hearing from you.