Something that is a given is that military members and their families are often on the move. Sometimes they are deployed overseas, and sometimes they are assigned to a different base in another part of the country. They are expected to fulfill their duty to their country wherever and whenever they are needed, even if it is at short notice.
As a member of the military, you are used to being away from home for extended periods. So, it is worth having a plan for what to do with your personal belongings when you are deployed.
If you live at home with your family, it will not be an issue. It is easier to move because you may not have collected too much stuff and what you have can be left behind. If you are single and share your accommodation with other military personnel, leaving your items behind means that you may need to carry on paying your share of the rent and any other bills even when you are not living there. This is not financially viable, so consider giving up your rental for the time that you are deployed and keeping your goods in a self storage unit.
As a military family, you may find it difficult to own large amounts of furniture and other valuables because you move so frequently. It is a different story if you have a larger family and you have collected some items that you want to hang on to. This is where using a self storage unit is a good option. It allows military families to keep their favourite belongings in a safe place for the entire time that they have to spend being deployed to a base across the world.
Avoid the expense of paying to move your belongings during your deployment by renting a self storage unit.
Reasons Military Families need Self Storage
- While looking for a new home. If you are assigned to a new base, you will need time to find a place to call home. Often a move happens at short notice, so once you have packed up your boxes you need to find a place to keep them while you are house or apartment hunting. It is probably more convenient to find a storage facility closer to your new base so that once you are ready for them, your boxes are easily accessible.
- Keep your valuable belongings safe. You may be leaving for a longer deployment and need somewhere safe to keep your belongings such as your furniture, and electronics, and maybe you even need to store your vehicle. In this case, the security measures taken at the storage facility that you have chosen will need to be such that you are confident of your belongings are safe while you are away.
- Moving homes. When moving from one base to another, there may be a short gap between moving out of one house and waiting to move into your new one. You can use a self storage unit as the solution to the problem of where to keep your belongings in the short term.
- Helps you keep to your budget. Is your new assignment in a higher-cost area than your last one? If you need to stay within a budget, you will need to live in a smaller house. Hiring a storage unit nearby will allow you to keep those extra items off-site that you otherwise would have needed to get rid of.
- Self storage is affordable. When you are assigned overseas it is probably not practical to take everything with you. Instead of leaving all your stuff in your apartment and paying rent, it will be more affordable for you to pay for a storage unit. So, pack up and move everything into a storage unit for the length of your deployment.
As a military family on the move, there are other factors to consider when looking for a storage facility beyond price. Make it work efficiently for your needs.
- The most important consideration when you intend to entrust your belongings to a self storage facility is security. The security they offer must be top-notch. You don’t want to worry about the possibility of your belongings being stolen while you are thousands of miles away.
- Choose the location of your storage facility carefully. If you are changing locations when you return from your deployment, you may wish to rent a storage unit in a facility near to where you will be moving back to, so your belongings are ready and waiting for you. The same applies if you intend to leave the military or retire when you return. Rather store your belongings in the city or town you intend to live in.
- Make sure that it is easy to make payments while you are away. You don’t want to risk losing your goods because of any misunderstanding with the facility.
- It is worth asking a family member or a close friend to keep an eye on your goods by visiting your unit while you are away.
Stop & Store Lowestoft for Military Families
- If the security of your belongings is your top priority, rest assured that our self storage facility offers top security measures including CCTV monitored 24/7, well-lit premises, and strict access control.
- Our self storage units are clean and dry to keep your belongings in tip-top condition.
- We have a trolley available to help you with loading and offloading your belongings.
- Please check our website for any specials we may be offering.
- Our units come in sizes that range from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft. To make sure that your unit is the right size, please consult our handy space calculator.
- If you need any further information or advice about the storage of your belongings, please contact us.
- Please contact us on 01502 580005 for more information. Our office hours are 8 am to 6 pm.
Stop and Store Lowestoft, 92 Denmark Road, Lowestoft NR32 2EH