Most of us experience a lack of space, either at home or at our workplace, at some time or another. We seem to accumulate more than we can comfortably store. So lack of storage space is a problem that we are all bound to experience at some stage of our lives. One of the solutions to this problem is hiring a self storage unit at a trusted facility near to where we live or work.
Using a self storage facility to store these belongings and items that may no longer fit into our homes or workplaces is a convenient solution to our lack of space. But while this may provide a solution to our storage problems, the costs of self storage can add up over time. However, with careful planning and a few smart strategies, it is possible to save money on self storage expenses.
How to Save Money on Self Storage Fees
Here are some smart hacks and tips for you. They will help you find ways to minimise the costs of self storage while still making sure you get the most out of your storage experience.
- The first step to saving money on self storage fees is to assess whether you need a storage unit. Often the items we think we cannot live without may not even be needed any longer. It is essential to declutter, donate, or sell these items so that you don’t end up storing goods that you no longer have use for. This will mean that you can get away with renting a smaller unit which will cost you less.
- Once you have decided what you need to store, the next step is deciding on the right self storage unit size. A storage unit is priced per square foot, so avoid renting a larger unit than is necessary. Facilities such as Stop & Store Lowestoft offer a variety of unit sizes, so make a list of the items you plan to store and inquire about the smallest unit that can accommodate your belongings comfortably. Downsizing to a smaller unit can lead to significant savings over time.
- Check out the various storage facilities in your area about the incentives they may offer. Are there any special promotions, discounts, or introductory rates? Self storage facilities are always looking to attract new customers so keep an eye out for these deals and take advantage of them when available. Look for flexible, month-to-month rental options to avoid getting locked into expensive contracts. If you need a long-term contract, make sure that the initial rate you are quoted does not increase over time. Some facilities may offer discounts for long-term commitments, military personnel, students, or seniors. So be sure to ask about current offers when contacting the facility or checking their website.
- Use affordable packing materials. Packing materials can add to your expenses, but using plastic sturdy boxes can protect you contents better than cardboard boxes. Protect furniture items by wrapping them up in blankets and duvets and use your sheets as dust sheets. Use pillows to wedge between pieces of furniture to prevent them from bumping up against each other to minimize the risk of scratches and dents.
- Once you get your goods to the storage unit, make sure to optimise the space available by packing them efficiently. Make the most of the vertical space by stacking items carefully. For easy stacking use sturdy boxes that are uniform in size so that your stacks do not topple over. Place the items you need to access frequently near the front of your unit.
- Utilise the wall space which often goes unused by installing temporary shelves or racks to store smaller items. Pack bulky furniture pieces at the back of your unit. Your chest of drawers and cabinets can be used to store smaller items and your clothing.
- Consider sharing a storage unit with a friend, family member, or housemate if you don’t need the entire storage unit for yourself. Splitting the cost of the rental will significantly reduce your monthly payment.
- Pay your monthly storage fees on time to avoid late penalties. Late fees can add up quickly and become an unnecessary financial burden, adding to the cost of storage.
- Avoid paying for an additional month by planning to ensure that you empty your unit before the end of the billing cycle.
- Insure your belongings wisely. You may be covered by your existing homeowners’ insurance for your stored goods. Otherwise, if the facility offers a policy compare it to other policies to get the most cost-effective insurance coverage.
Self storage is a great solution for when you need a safe place to keep your belongings temporarily. Keep track of your self storage fees by following our tips. With some smart planning and organisation, you’ll keep your items safe without breaking the bank.
Stop & Store Lowestoft Storage Facility
Once you have decided to rent a self security unit in our facility you can be assured that you have made the right choice in terms of the price of storage, security of your goods, and flexibility of our contract.
- Our storage facility is well-lit and is fully secured with monitored CCTV, intruder alarms, and a secure perimeter fence.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are clean, dry, and secure steel partitioned rooms. To make it easier for you to choose the right sized unit we have a Space Calculator if you are not sure how much space you need for your belongings. Otherwise, contact us if you need any further assistance or information.
- We are open seven days a week to make it easily accessible. Our hours are 8 am to 6 pm so you can come and go as you please during these times.
- Please check customer reviews on our website.
Get in touch with our friendly team at Stop & Store Lowestoft Self Storage Facility!