Using a self storage facility for the first time? Obviously, you want to choose the best self storage company you can find to entrust your belongings with. Self storage units are an affordable way of gaining extra space for those belongings that you have no space for at home or at the office.
There are many reasons why people need extra storage space. Dealing with a lease gap when moving apartments, moving home, or carrying out home renovations is probably the most common reason why they use our self storage facility. But there are many other times when people need the extra space, from needing short-term storage when you are clearing out a space for a special occasion, to needing long-term storage if you intend to take up a job opportunity abroad for a year, and you wish to rent your home out while you are gone.
It is worth taking time to do your research when choosing a facility to make sure to choose one that fits your requirements. Here are some guidelines for the first-timer on how self storage works, how to rent a unit, and how to choose the best self storage company.
What to Look for in a Self Storage Company
- What do you want to store? Do you have an entire household of furniture to store, are you clearing out a spare bedroom to make space for your baby’s nursery, or do you need to store some of your personal seasonal clothing items? This will influence the size of the unit you need. The price of a unit is calculated on how many square feet it is, so it is important to be clear as to what you need to store as you don’t want to be paying for space that you will not need.
- Does the facility offer a wide choice of unit sizes for you to choose from? If it does you can easily choose the right-sized unit for your needs. Stop & Store Lowestoft have an easy Space Calculator on their website to make it easy for you to choose the right sized unit.
- The terms and conditions of the self storage contract will specify what you can and cannot store, whether your contract is month-to-month, and other specifications. Make sure you understand these and that they are acceptable to you as they are binding to you once you have signed the contract.
- Will you need access to your unit often, or once your goods are packed away, they will be there until you fetch them? Check that the hours of business of the self storage facility suit your requirements and that the facility will be open when you need to get in.
- Do you need easy drive-up access for easy loading and off-loading? A unit situated upstairs will not work for you in this case.
- One of the most important features of a self storage company is the security that they have in place to keep their customers’ belongings safe. The facility should be well-lit, be covered by monitored CCTV cameras at all times and have secure access control.
- Read online reviews left by customers of the facility. These should give you some idea of whether the facility you have entrusted with your belongings is the right one.
- Visit the storage facility in person before committing to see for yourself if the size will work for you, and to make sure that the facility is clean and well cared for.
How To Make the Most of Your Self Storage Unit
A storage unit allows you to deal with those belongings that you wish to keep, but that you don’t have space for. It also allows you to store those goods that may not be in daily use, but that you do not want to get rid of.
- Sort through your belongings to declutter before you pack them up for storage. Once you have decided what to sell, donate, or throw away you are ready to pack up what is left. A storage no-no is if anything you no longer need or use lands up in your unit. This takes up unnecessary storage space. Once you know exactly what is going into your storage, you can choose the unit size that you actually need.
- If you are moving or traveling you most probably do not need access to your storage space very often, so you can cram as much into your unit as possible. On the other hand, if you need access to some of the items you have stored, pack your unit in such a way that you have a corridor in the middle to access the boxes at the back. Pack those items and boxes you need access to near the front of the unit.
- Check with the self storage company that none of the items you wish to store are on the prohibited list. These items would include food items, flammable items, illegal substances, and stolen property, amongst others.
How Stop & Store Lowestoft Can Be Considered the Best Storage Company
Here are some of the reasons to hire a unit in our self storage facility. If you need more information, please give us a call.
- We know that the security of your goods is a priority. It is also ours. Our facility is protected by a CCTV system that is monitored 24/7. We also have intruder alarms and secured perimeter fencing.
- Once you have booked and paid, we will email you your individual PIN. You can now start moving your goods in.
- Our units are easily accessible for convenient loading and off-loading. If you need a trolley to help with the transport of your boxes, please let us know.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are modern, steel partitioned rooms which are clean and dry, and will ensure that your goods remain free of mildew. Our largest units can accommodate the contents of a three-bedroomed home.
- If you need your unit for a few weeks or months, we can assist you as we are flexible.
- Please check our website for recommendations and references from our clients.
Please contact us on:
Tel: 01502 580005 for more information if you require assistance with your storage needs.