This is something everyone who uses self storage wants to know. Once you have decided that you need to store your belongings for either short or long term, it is in your interest financially to do your research and find the best deal that you can. Here are some of the ways you can keep your self storage costs down.
Rent the correct size storage unit
At Stop & Store Lowestoft we have various sizes of units for you to choose from. These range from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft. It is not always easy to imagine how much stuff will fit into a specific size so begin by using a space calculator to help you choose. By making sure you rent the correct size and not choosing a larger unit just to be on the safe side will save you money. If you find you need more space you can easily upgrade to a larger unit.
Sell or donate belongings that you won’t be needing again
Instead of storing piles of items that you won’t use again, get rid of them. This is an ideal opportunity to sort through your belongings and put aside those that are just taking up space. Thrift stores and charity organisations are always on the look out for preloved items to sell so donating your unwanted items is easy.
Selling your goods online is a great way of making some money to offset your storage expenses. This is an easy way of getting rid of furniture or anything you no longer need and getting some money back on them.
Pack your storage unit carefully to make the most of the available space
- Packing your belongings up carefully in the correct boxes and then taking extra care when stacking them in your storage unit can ensure you maximise your space by using every available square foot.
- Use new cardboard boxes when you pack your belongings as these will keep their shape while in storage.
- Pack heavy items at the bottom of the box and fill it with lighter stuff. If you make your boxes too heavy, they will be difficult to move.
- Wrap your fragile and breakable belongings carefully to prevent unnecessary breakages.
Using the vertical space to its maximum can allow you to fit more items in the space. Add some shelving along the sides of the unit will greatly assist with this.
Leave ‘corridors’ between the stacks of boxes so that you can easily access any part of your unit in case you need to retrieve something from one of the boxes while they are in storage.
Preparing your belongings for Self Storage
If you decide to place your items in storage there are certain steps you can take to minimize the risk of any damage occurring.
In any storage situation, most damage is caused mainly by either not packing your goods properly, by pests that multiply in the dark conditions of a unit, or by moisture which causes mould that can damage not only your wooden furniture but will also ruin clothes, papers, books, and photographs that you place in storage.
The way to avoid damage occurring is as follows:
- Pack carefully and wrap your large goods like furniture and electrical equipment in blankets instead of plastic which can cause condensation and moisture and mildew to form.
- Ensure that any clothes you need to store are clean and dry to prevent condensation. Avoid using plastic bags to store your belongings as these disintegrate over time.
- Make sure your books, photographs and important papers are stored preferably in plastic sealed boxes to prevent moths. Sprinkle some moth balls in each box to repel any pests.
- Make sure your washing machine, fridge, and dishwasher is stored with the door ajar so that air can circulate to prevent any mould from forming.
- Cover the floor of your unit with a tarpaulin to prevent any moisture from seeping through. You can even pack your boxes onto pallets so that they do not have direct contact with the floor so that air can circulate.
How Stop & Store Lowestoft can Assist with Your Self Storage Needs
Storage costs are obviously a consideration when choosing a self storage facility, but they definitely shouldn’t be the only one. The main reason why people choose to store their belongings in a facility is to take advantage of the advanced security that a professional storage facility offers its customers.
- Our storage facility offers you the peace of mind that your goods will be safe from theft. We have a CCTV system that is monitored 24/7. We also have intruder alarms.
- Our facility is accessible to our clients seven days a week, and our hours are 8am to 8pm.
- Book and pay online from your mobile or laptop. We will email you your individual PIN and you can access your unit immediately.
- Our units are convenient for loading and off-loading your storage boxes and other belongings.
- Our units, which vary in size from 12 sq. ft. to 200 sq. ft., are modern, steel partitioned rooms which are clean, dry, and secure. They are designed to keep your goods safely.
We are conveniently situated near the railway station in Lowestoft. We also service Oulton, Hopton on Sea, Kessingland, and surrounding areas.
- Whether you need your unit for less than a month or for much longer, we are flexible.
- There is no deposit to be paid, leases to sign, or extra hidden costs. The price we quote for your unit is the price you pay.
- Please check our website for customer reviews.
Please contact us on:
Tel: 01502 580005 for more information. We look forward to hearing from you.