One thing is a certainty during a home renovation. It will disrupt your life. But luckily this is only temporary. So, embrace this time as exciting, where you can indulge in your creativity while designing your perfect space. Looking for inspiration on Pinterest, collecting samples of tiles and paints, and deciding on colour schemes and styles are all part of the journey. This is your opportunity to create a room or an entire house, depending on the size of your project, that suits your lifestyle. The more thought and research you put into this project, the better it will turn out.
Whether you are redesigning a kitchen or bathroom, turning your spare room into a home office, or renovating your entire home, you will be faced with the same problem, namely what to do with all your stuff during the renovation. The experts will tell you that any size renovation involves a lot of dust, and dust can cause irreparable damage to electronics, furniture, and even fabrics. This is where renting a self storage unit at Stop & Store Lowestoft can be of help. You will have peace of mind knowing that your belongings are safe from damage while the renovations are in progress.
What are Alternatives to Using a Self Storage Facility?
- Use your garage or a designated room in your house to keep your furniture out of harm’s way. This is a viable option if you aren’t carrying out a complete renovation of your home. The positives to gain from this option is that it won’t cost you extra and you will have access to any of your belongings at any time. This option doesn’t work very well if you are carrying out extensive renovations where contractors work on more than one space at a time.
- Storing your furniture and other belongings with a family member or a friend is another possibility. The downside of this is that it is very difficult to predict an exact date when your renovations will be completed. Building and renovations notoriously run late, so this could be the end of a good relationship if everything doesn’t go to plan, and you are unable to clear your stuff out in time. But as long as you are all aware that this is a possibility, then this is an option to consider.
Using a self storage unit is the alternative if none of the other options work for you. A self storage facility offers a safe, secure environment for your household items. In fact, our 200sq ft unit at Stop & Store Lowestoft is large enough to store the entire contents of a 3 bedroomed home! The beauty of a self storage facility is that it is flexible in that if your renovations take longer than you anticipated, it is easy to extend your contract. And a big plus is that your furniture will be in the same condition when you fetch it as it was when you packed it away.
How To Survive a Home Renovation
The amount of work and energy needed for a home renovation is huge, and even if you are not doing the work yourself, organising contractors and making many decisions is exhausting! Unexpected challenges, such as problems with the electrics, which can put your budget out! Timelines can be exceeded through unforeseen circumstances. Surviving a renovation takes planning, keeping your sense of humour, and just remember, at the end of it, you will have the home of your dreams.
- If your renovations are extensive, it may be better for you to move out of your home and place all your belongings in a self storage unit. This will give your contractors space to do their thing and ensure that your furniture stays damage free, and more especially, dust free until you need it again.
- If you decide to stick it out at home, set up in those areas which will not be affected by the build, dedicated spaces where your family can cook, eat, and work or do homework, as well as watch TV in peace.
- Work out your budget and try to stick to it. Costs can get out of hand very quickly, so you need to keep track every step of the way. Your choice of finishes, such as the tiles and countertops, will have a direct bearing on the cost of your project, and these are expenses you can influence.
- Be available for frequent meetings with your builder and other contractors. You need to be able to spot any mistakes and get them rectified earlier rather than later. This clear line of communication is the only way the renovation can meet your expectations.
- If you stay on in the house, make it clear to the builder and contractors which areas are off limits to them. You don’t need the extra stress of unknown people invading your space. Seal your living space off with drop sheets and tape the doors closed to keep out construction dust, which has the unfortunate habit of penetrating everywhere if there isn’t a concerted effort to keep it out.
Stop & Store Lowestoft Self Storage Unit
We are available to advise you on how our self storage facility at Lowestoft can help with the storage of your precious belongings and furniture during your renovation.
- We will keep your precious belongings safely and securely because our facility is protected by monitored CCTV surveillance 24/7, as well as intruder alarms. Your individual PIN ensures that you are the only one that has access to your self storage unit.
- If your renovation runs over time, you do not have to worry. Our self storage is flexible in that we do not lock you into a contract, neither do we require a deposit.
- We are open from 8am to 6pm, seven days a week for your convenience.
- Enquire, and we can book your unit and take payment using our simple, fully automated operating system, which you can do anytime. Once you have paid you get access to your unit.
- Our units are affordable. Please check our website for any specials we may be running and for reviews left by our customers.
Please contact us on 01329 556174. We look forward to hearing from you!
Enquire now at https://www.stopandstore.co.uk/book-online/